Reclassifying the 4A leagues

Discussion in 'Boys Basketball' started by lv2hoop, Jan 6, 2020.

1. lv2hoop

lv2hoop Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

There is a proposal for the ASAA board to review (proposal was made by reclassification committee) that puts all schools with Mat Su, Fairbanks and Anchorage into 4A.

Schools can appeal to drop down.

If the ASAA Board follows this committee recommendation, then the 3A private schools (Monroe, Grace, ACS) would need to appeal to drop back down to 3A.

2. ethoosier

ethoosier Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

So I’m assuming a school like Lumen Christi in Anchorage, who competes in 1A and puts almost no emphasis on athletics, would be bumped to 4A? Hopefully that appeal gets granted if passed.

3. lv2hoop

Expand Collapse

I’m sure Billy plans to be very lenient on appeals for schools such as Lumen, etc

4. lv2hoop

Expand Collapse

Notes from the reclassification committee: Through the appeal process, we recommend that the board look at the following when determining eligibility of a move to a lower classification:
    Competitive history
    Winning percentage in Conference championships
    State tournament appearances State champions/runner-up
    Out of season access
    Access to scholarships
    Access to spring/fall leagues
    Effect of conference make-up
    Effect of travel costs
    Conference/Region Support
    Number of ASAA transfers to/from the school
    The committee also recommends allowing schools to request different classifications for boys and girls basketball.

5. kmch

kmch Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

This is what we’ve been talking about in the other thread. I suppose it’s good to have its own post but I can’t say it all again.

6. ArizonaJoe

ArizonaJoe Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Wow!! Lumen Christi 4A and North Pole 3A? A 70 student 4A school, and does that include Birchwood Christian with 40 kids? A school with 700 in 3A? Maybe they want to give everyone a state championship so that everyone is a winner?

ethoosier likes this.
  7. lv2hoop

Expand Collapse

Lumen would likely sign up for an appeal if this new way of classifying b-ball teams is approved. That is unless they plan to go back to the days when they hired Phil Jordan as a coach and got serious about trying to make themselves the Catholic Monroe type school of the Anchorage bowl. That Lumen experience was fairly short lived though — I can’t remember why it derailed.

I told you all that this was coming out soon from Asaa — whether it gets rubber stamped or kicked to the curb by the Asaa board is now the question.

8. kmch

kmch Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

This is obviously aimed at the three good private schools. Everyone else will get appeals to stay in their current level. Based on this criteria Monroe can only be moved up because of their success. They don’t have fall/spring league, they don’t have scholarships, they don’t have extra out of season access, and they haven’t had an asaa transfer in about 6 years. But how dare you build a great program and win. Too much winning!

CoachSt likes this.
  9. kmch

kmch Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

How come SoHi football gets to win state every year and stay medium?

ArizonaJoe likes this.
  10. lv2hoop

Expand Collapse

I’m not as tuned in to the football debate. As a fan, I’m excited to see this b-ball realignment go through. I think Monroe will be a Final 4 team with regularity at the 4A level. Also am excited to see some more big guns moving into 4A — assuming the Asaa board follows the committee recommendation.

11. kmch

kmch Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

You have misjudged Monroe now and especially in the future. I think you must be picturing the Monroe teams from the Scooter/Tyler days. Hasn’t looked quite like that since. Last year we were third in our own conference tourney and lost in the first round of state. Year before that we started a wrestler and brought a toothpick freshman off the bench as the 6th man. This year we have three freshman and two sophomores on the bench and they look just like 3a freshmen and sophomores. Great kids that are going to work hard and get coached up but there’s no way on earth it makes sense for them to compete against the schools of 2000.

12. ethoosier

ethoosier Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

I don’t think Monroe wouldn’t be a good team in 4A, with 14-5 record (9-5 if you remove the NP games) against 4A competition and I think you would be fine. But at the same time, if we are talking about winning a state title then the school would have some disadvantages without question.

For me the line in the sand is scholarships. If a private school is offering kids scholarships to attend and play basketball at their institutions, then they should be competing at the 4A level regardless of size.

12 ethoosier, Jan 7, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2020
    BushAK likes this.
  13. kmch

kmch Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Ya, Monroe has no scholarship avenues.

ethoosier and ArizonaJoe like this.
  14. 3_wisemen

3_wisemen Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

If families are paying for their own kids to attend private schools then there should not be an issue. BUT if private schools will be made to play 4a then they should be allowed to offer scholarships/waivers or however you would like to word it.

15. lv2hoop

Expand Collapse

Monroe is loaded with talent and good coaching as well as an invested group of bball fans, parents, community, etc.. Kmch you've been around Ostanik too long as he is infamous for bemoaning that his teams are not very good, when in fact, they are excellent. I say that with all due respect.

16. kmch

kmch Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

My bad I didn’t realize you knew more about my sons team than I did.

Please go on...educate me on our personnel and explain how we are loaded with talent starting in 2022.

16 kmch, Jan 7, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2020
  17. lv2hoop

Expand Collapse

I’m not the only one who thinks it might be time for the 3A private powerhouses to join the 4A league.

There was a committee from across the state that made the recommendation that it is time for a change.

18. kmch

kmch Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Breaking news! I’m well aware of that I’m asking you to explain your opinion that Monroe is “loaded with talent” and will be “a final four team with regularity in 4a”.

19. lv2hoop

Expand Collapse

They’ve got a freshman guard who is damn good. He might be a contender for player of the year before he’s out of high school. That alone likely would make them a 4A top squad. Plus they’ve got Ostanik (great coach). Your kid is excellent. Monroe is good. If all the pieces fall into place, they could contend for the 4A title this year.

20. kmch

kmch Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

The new system would start in 2022.