Question about 4A All-State Offensive POY

Discussion in 'Football' started by Elmore_Laws, Oct 22, 2009.

1. Elmore_Laws

Elmore_Laws Moderator
    Expand Collapse

West Sr. QB Justin Kauffman deserves the accolade POY, but why is he listed second team All-State and not first team All-State. I me, that don’t look right.

2. BigBlade

BigBlade Member
    Expand Collapse

I agree and was also wondering the same thing. I believe he was robbed of the first team all state QB slot. I think this must be a flawed system these coaches and organization use.

3. words_of_wisdom

words_of_wisdom Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

I thought Lee Jones was robbed of POY, but theres two ways of looking at it and I'm sure henert fought if Lee wasn't getting poy he sure as heck was getting first team all state, especially if he already got robbed at linebacker. Both are great players you really couldn't pick one over the other so I thought they did the right thing, one gets first team the other poy.

4. words_of_wisdom

words_of_wisdom Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

by the way I remember there being 4 player awards: poy, opoy, dpoy, and utility player. I didn't see poy or utility player and was just wondering if they had gotten rid of those.

5. iamnotfromnorthpole

iamnotfromnorthpole Active Member
    Expand Collapse

Why didnt Lee Jones get First team Linebacker? Hes hands down the best in the state. He was second team his sophomore year, First his junior year and only got better.

6. red_rover

red_rover Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Wasn't Kaufman POY for the CIC? That would not make him a lock for first team All-State right?

7. balash

balash Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

First off, between Jones and Kauffman we're talking about a couple of great athletes and great kids. Any coach in the state would love to have either one of them on their team. Either one would be very deserving of all-state QB and POY. Either one of them could excel at almost any position.

My understanding is that the coaches decide POY awards last. So earlier in the meeting the arguments were discussed for QB and the coaches voted Jones as the first team QB. Their stats are comparable and I think the clincher on that vote was that Jones "beat" Kauffman head to head in a game.

The question most NP folks are asking is why didn't Jones get POY? That seems more jacked up than Kauffman not getting the QB spot. Because bottom line was when the two played on the field in the same game you'd have to give the edge to Jones as being a slightly better ball player.

Bottom line for these awards is you have to take them with a grain of salt. The system is flawed. The men making the decisions are flawed. And the debate could go on forever.

I feel pretty honored to have coached Mr. Jones and to have been on the sidelines when these two guys went head to head in the playoffs. Again, they are both great players. Can we call them co-POY?

Peace,

LB

8. AKFootballBacker

Expand Collapse

Balash makes a great point about both players being deserving of the awards.

The further flaws in the system as I understand it are that the head coaches vote on these awards and since there are 8 head coaches in the Cook Conference and 7 in the Railbelt. So a Cook Player would technically be able to be selected to the first team without the vote of a coach from the opposing conference. And to make this worse as I understand it some of the interior schools are not always at this meeting so that means that it is even easier for the Cook Conference Players and Harder for the Railbelt players to get selected.

So that means that Lee being selected as first team quarterback was more of an accomplishment than Kauffman being selected as Off POY.

9. YOUR FIRED

YOUR FIRED Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

I too question this. How is the OPOY not first team all-state at his postion? DPOY is 1st team at his position, LOY is 1st team at his position, whats the deal? Balash I don't agree with the one game head-to-head result theory. This past week Philly couldn't score against the Raiders, Does that mean Jamarcus is a better QB than McNabb? No! You can't make that kind of judgement on one games performance. It has to be a body of work. Both kids are great athletes, but sometimes you have to choose one or the other. Why are we so PC today? Why do we feel the need to award everyone?
    Another question why are there 7 all-state O-linemen, and 5 all state RB's? Teams tipically have 5 o-linemen on the feild at one time, and the most RB's I've seen at once is 3 so why the need to vote in extra people. There is only 1 all-state TE, and I've seen teams run 2 TE sets, and there are only 2 WR's and we see a lot of spead 3 and 4 WR sets. Maybe it's time to take a look at how many we are voting in at each position and why.

10. Squelcher

Squelcher Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Great point YOUR FIRED about the number of "first-teamers".....two schools of thought: 1. everybody should get a award (tiny tots soccer) and 2. the more awards you give out, the less meaning they have (real life)

I am old school and believe in #2. Back in the day there were half as many first-team all state players and that designation, IMO, meant more. It's the same with the all-conference teams. It's silly.

11. AKFootballBacker

Expand Collapse

So I don't understand why everyone is so high on Kauffman, I think that both players are pretty equal. But Lee has stepped up big when it matters most. 200 plus rushing against Juneau (Conf. Champs) and over a 150 yards rushing and 100 yards passing against West in the Playoffs, and he was one of 2 100 yard rushers against Bartlett (the best defense in the state when they were playing their best). No one else could do anything against that defense over the last 4 weeks. I understand Kauffman had a great season beating every team in the Cook including the two that played for the State Title, it just seems like Lee's Big play ability should make it a toss up.

12. MooseFootball

MooseFootball New Member
    Expand Collapse

I agree with Backer here...although I never played against Kauffman I did make the trip to Anchortown a few times to watch West play and I gotta say he indeed looked like a man among boys out there...that said I did play against Jones and he was a stud...watching tape of him dismantling Juneau's D was scary in a way...both very deserving...one got POY and the other got 1st team...

13. BigBlade

BigBlade Member
    Expand Collapse

Bottom line is neither of these guys would have been where they were without the awsome support of theyr team mates and kick butt O lines.