Off-season Progress

Discussion in 'Football' started by balash, Jan 25, 2010.

1. balash

balash Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

So the off-season race has begun and should be in earnest now with 3 weeks of school under our belts. Just curious how teams out there are doing at getting kids in the weight room, making summer plans, etc. Any new transfers?

North Pole is doing ok. About 20 kids or so in the weight room making progress, almost all varsity guys. Need to get more JV kids working out. A few kids have transferred in from Lathrop, WV, and Eielson (Moo Rogers being most noteworthy). They should help the team compete next season. NP is simply hoping to rebuild into a competitive team after losing virtually the entire varsity squad to graduation.

Sounds like WV is making progress in recruiting kids out of the hallway to get their numbers up.

Haven't heard anything from Lathrop.

Colony has a new coach and Mayo will be back coordinating Defense. Any insights on them or anybody else in the Valley?

Would be great to hear how folks are doing state wide.

2. scm343

scm343 Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

West Valley had 63 guys lifting yesterday, 43 Varsity guys, we as well need more JV kids. It's a good start, just gotta maintain. I heard Bartlett had the same numbers 63 guys and that their kids are pretty strong... well great off season to everyone!

Coach E.

3. balash

balash Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Wow. Nice work Coach E. Keep on keepin' on.

Did y'all hear that North Pole? West Valley is working hard to take that mantle you're wearing. Better step up!

Anybody else out there?

4. scm343

scm343 Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Our kids and our coaches are doing a great job! They are committed to getting better, its great! Its a great start for our program. Our kids just want to compete with everyone else in the state, that's our goal!

Coach E.
    This post was edited on 1/26 10:21 PM by scm343

5. griz37

griz37 New Member
    Expand Collapse

Colony has between 25-35. Kids are working hard, but we would love to see more. I can't even imagine being in the 60's! That is amazing, good job Coach E!

I can't wait until All-AK and the season. It should be very competitive in our conference. Overall there should be some amazing football next year.

Coach Mac

6. crimsonbearspride

crimsonbearspride Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

kind of wierd how juneau has terrible offseason work ethic yet they seem to be able to compete. i remember showing up to some wieght training sessions where there would only be like 11 guys there to work out. good luck to all teams and hope your hard work pays off.

7. balash

balash Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

I've always said if you have 8 sold out kids that train for football as a lifestyle and another dozen kids that are athletes in decent shape you can compete with anyone. Sounds like that's what Juneau has.

But, when you come up against a team like Bartlett with 40 weight trained varsity athletes it's tough to compete, because they can platoon and have studs on the field the whole game (it wore us out in the semi's last year).

Great to hear from Colony. Any word out of Wasilla or Palmer? What about the rest of the teams from the Cook? Is West going to stay at that top level? Let's hear some more chatter.

LB

8. MOMO1

MOMO1 New Member
    Expand Collapse

Heard East looks really good. They are running a new offense this year. I had a chance to see them at their recent camp at the Dome.

MOMO1
    Southside Homer