Not Too Early Top 5 Power Poll 2019-20 — 4A boys

Discussion in 'Boys Basketball' started by lv2hoop, Mar 26, 2019.

1. lv2hoop

lv2hoop Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

1. Colony — 4 starters back, should be a championship contender again. Losing Menard will hurt though.
    2. Dimond — Isaiah Moses makes them legit from Day 1. They’ll need to find some size to go along with Moses and if they do, Lauwers could have them in the championship game for the 5th year in a row.
    3. South — darkhorse pick.
    4. Bartlett — 2 all state returners make me think they’ll have a good foundation.
    5. West Valley & Thunder Mountain (tie) the Wolfpack return a good portion of an athletic team and so does TMHS. I think that whoever makes it out of SE Alaska will have more respect after the light show that Kayhi provided at this year’s tourney plus what Juneau did 3 years ago. SE owns 2 of the past 4 state titles in 4A boys.

2. kmch

kmch Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

WV returns their first 8.

3. ruprick

ruprick Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Ketchikan returns Chris Lee who might be the best player in the state next year. Dude scored 28 in the state championship game. Half of Ketchikana points. Plus kris 3-pointman Pihl.
    JDHS is also going to be much much better. IMO they return there three best players. Southeast is going to be ultra competitive next season.

4. ethoosier

ethoosier Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

It’s hard to say right now, certain guys have opportunities out of state. Other player movement within the state/regions being talked about. I have to see how some of this shakes out before I could really make a prediction.

But as of how things stand right now, your list looks pretty good.

5. lv2hoop

Expand Collapse

Actually I should’ve included East in those rankings — probably in at around the 4th slot. They will have two experienced guards who are both pretty good coming back next year in Maldonado and Herrington. They’ve got a chance to be pretty good if there’s any other good players to go along with those two.

6. ArizonaJoe

ArizonaJoe Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Let's not forget Soldotna that returns all state sensation Jersey Truesdell and 3 other starters. Don't look past the Stars either. Jersey impressed many,many observers at the 4A State tourney... and was often overlooked during the regular season. He had two games at state with 30 plus points!! He averages 20.3 points per game, 3 rebounds and made 100 3 pointers this season- that's almost 4 per game!! And he missed two games early is the season... Jersey shot almost 40% from the 3 and 80% front the FT line...... oh and he has a 4.0 GPA!!! That is an Allstar!!

3_wisemen, BushAK and ethoosier like this.
  7. ethoosier

Expand Collapse

Good point. And you know East is getting a big time transfer. They always do.

8. 9oh7

9oh7 Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Thunder Mountain. All I will say. For region V.

returning 4 of its 5 starters.

9. ruprick

Expand Collapse

What grade is Jake Taylor?

10. ArizonaJoe

ArizonaJoe Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Jake is a senior.

11. ruprick

Expand Collapse

Saw a lot of hustle from that kid. Very solid player.
    So ketchikan just returns Lee and Pihl? Plus the vaunted JV players moving up.
    Southeast region is going to be a real battle. TMHS should have there strongest team in several years Ketchikan returns the best player in state and juneau brings back there two best players.

12. kmch

kmch Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

I felt like he was instrumental in them winning night 2.

13. lv2hoop

Expand Collapse

With practice starting tomorrow, this thread needs a bump! I’ll stand by my predictions from last March with the exception that I missed out on East being in there. Here’s my preseason top 5 in no particular order:

East, Bartlett, Dimond, Colony, West Valley
    Hon Mentions: South, Thunder Mountain

14. ethoosier

Expand Collapse

I’ve got:

Tier 1

Colony

Tier 2

East
    Dimond
    Bartlett

Tier 3

West Valley
    South
    Ketchikan
    Soldotna

15. 3_wisemen

3_wisemen Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Transfers? Anyone talking about transfers? Who lost who gained?
    Might change who is where

16. ethoosier

Expand Collapse

West High lost 6’4 SR Forward Isaiah Grant to Dimond; and 6’0 SR guard Jamari Lawrence moved to Texas.

I ran into an old coaching friend a few days back, and he let me know a big time small school star is enrolled at his Anchorage area (4A) school and taking classes. But not all the I’s have been dotted and the T’s crossed with ASAA. But I’m sure it will get out in the next few days as soon as it does become official.

Those are the only roster movement I’ve heard about.

17. kmch

kmch Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Heard about the small schools kid and it seems like precedent was already set with that not too long ago....

18. ethoosier

Expand Collapse

yeah going to be interesting. At face value there are some similarities for sure but I’ve heard there are different circumstances as well to be considered by ASAA. I’ll be waiting to see how that goes down.

19. lv2hoop

Expand Collapse

From the ASAA 2019-20 Handbook...I assume this is the regulation that you guys are referencing?

B. A student who participates as a member of an out-of-school team coached by another school’s coach, and who subsequently transfers to that coach’s school, will be ineligible in that sport for one full season at the receiving school.

20. 3_wisemen

3_wisemen Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Interesting! If I am reading between the lines correctly why does the player have to go to the school whose coach he played for? Can’t he just move to a school whose coach he didn’t play for?