Not to early to talk 2013

Discussion in 'Football' started by ruprick, Nov 30, 2011.

1. ruprick

ruprick Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Will Juneau be the pre-season number one?
    Best qb in the state!
    This post was edited on 11/30 3:07 PM by ruprick

2. Theunsunghero

Theunsunghero Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

I think West High's Conor Feckley may have something to say about that, then again, not too many people outside of Southeast got to see Phillip Fenumiai play last season. I think it would be safe to assume that Fenumiai's size makes him the most appealing prospect at the position coming out of Alaska, but strictly based on stats and rings (not necessarily indicative of individual talent but still worth mentioning)I'd only rank him as the 3rd best in the pre-season.

Where that puts Juneau, I don't know. In the playoffs they narrowly beat East in at Juneau (without Fenumia) then got crushed by Service, who btw returns 4A POY Aukusitino (who also plays quarterback). I think at this point, Service deserves to be pre-season No. 1.

3. ruprick

Expand Collapse

He had a pretty good year - 19 touchdowns, 2 interceptions, almost a 60% completion percentage, plus he probably ran for 5-6 TDS and 30-40 yards a game.

4. ITman907

ITman907 Member
    Expand Collapse

I'll give my preseason vote to Service.

Aukusitino was 2nd in the state in passing yards next to Feckley, 20+ passing touchdowns, 10+ rushing touchdowns, and I believe top 3 in the state for rushing. Fenumiai has a good size for a D1 prospect though. He put up impressive numbers as well.

5. ruprick

Expand Collapse

Nice to see so much talent in Alaska and so many good players who have the chance to go on and play d1 college ball.

6. red_rover

red_rover Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

I don't mean to disparage anyone but these kids need to realize it is EXTREMELY DIFFICULT to make it in D1 as a football player in Alaska. AK doesn't have the resources to compete (season length, facilities, easier access to coaching, exposure, funds) with these outside schools. We need to realize that these outside players are the ones our kids are competing with and that will require to work hard all year round and make any luck you can along the way.

Not saying it can't get done, but there are a lot of fish in the sea.

7. Theunsunghero

Expand Collapse

Why I would agree that it takes a lot more factors for an Alaskan player to make a Div 1 squad for football, I wouldn't say it's as difficult as you're making it seem. There have been several players in the past 4-5 years that I know went on to play for Div 1 teams. Not saying that all of them were five star recruits, or that they all pulled a Daniel Hardy (West 06') but they made the team and were able to compete.

Div 1 is an admirable goal for any athlete. It is particularly difficult to make it from here compared to players from other states solely based on local players being under recruited. That doesn't mean, however, that it is impossible.

Now as far as how this relates to the players who we think will be top players next year, I think some legitimately have the talent. Will they be seen by the right people or have the academics to qualify are the questions.

8. Benka mom

Benka mom New Member
    Expand Collapse

So all this talk about D1 QB prospects...can any of you tell me how many QB's have gone on to play the QB position at a college? Any level? I know we had a QB get to college but I believe he played a different position. Just curious what makes you think these guys are better than those who have tried before them.
    This post was edited on 1/19 8:22 PM by Benka mom

9. Theunsunghero

Expand Collapse

I wouldn't be able to give you a complete list of players who have played QB in college, but that's because I don't follow high school football as closely as I do other sports. That being said, I don't think anyone is saying that the players coming up are so much better than those before them, the thread began as a "who should be good next year" thread, with the originator liking Juneau's chances because in his/her mind they have the best QB in the state.

This started some controversy because while many would commend Fenumiai's ability and potential(not to mention his ideal size to play the position in college), he didn't play in several games this past season due to injury, while other players (namely Service's QB) did play the whole season and had better overall stats.

Now to answer your question, Viliamu Aukusitino (QB for Service) in his first year playing QB fulltime in highschool (last year he won state utility player of the year Service's state runner up squad) led his team to a state title and broke the state's single season rushing record for a QB.

Connor Feckley (West QB) who led his team to a state title the season prior is less than 500 yards away (I actually think it's much lower than that but don't know exactly) from breaking the state's ALL-TIME record for passing yards. There's a very good chance he could break the record within the first couple of games.

Based on their talent, achievements, and solid academics, many believe these three could play QB at some level in college. Some people feel that Fenumiami has the advantage in the "whose has a chance to play D1" argument seeing as how he's about 6'2" 1/2-6'3" tall and has more of the prototypical size for a D1 QB than the other two.

10. Benka mom

Benka mom New Member
    Expand Collapse

You would probably have to look hard to find a QB from AK that played the position at any level. Whether we like to admit it or not our level of play is not up to par with other areas for football. Our kids don't get the playtime that some areas of the lower 48 do and at a position like QB they have to have the playing time and experience in "big" games.

Yes, having the "D1" body frame will help Fenumiai, but he will need more than that. I hope these players won't discount D2/D3 opportunities because for most, if not all, it will be their only shot. Noting that, they better have GRADES! Too many kids think they are "big time" D1 players and don't respond to all letters of interest. Responding only to D1 programs, which in reality are only pipe dreams for most AK players. (Yes everyone should dream!)

I hope coaches/parents will quit making their star players all think they are D1 prospects. If a student-athlete truly wants to play at the next level they need to research ALL opportunities and can't close any doors!! They need to make sure they have the proper courses required for college. Heck most don't even know they need to register in the NCAA clearing house and/or with the NAIA. That letter they get in the mail from a college, really means nothing when you think about it. Ya they may be on a radar, but until a college coach contacts them personally and/or calls their coach they really have nothing but scratch paper. If a coach gets a call, that player better hope that coach likes them and sells them! One note of hesitation by the coach and that player can kiss that school goodbye. Up here a coach holds the key to a players success or failure more so than anywhere, so you better hope the coach likes you.

Thought for the day....coaches maybe instead of filling your players with delusions of D1 opportunities you might start be giving them some TRUE insight on the commitment and grades that it will take to get to the next level. Be proud of any level of placement!

GREAT topic of discussion or information that might actually benefit these players more so than the "who's who in AK" for their sport!...just sayin...

11. Benka mom

Benka mom New Member
    Expand Collapse

Good luck to all student-athletes! :)
    This post was edited on 1/20 8:38 PM by Benka mom

12. Theunsunghero

Expand Collapse

Great insights Benka Mom. The D1 dream shouldn't be totally abandoned I think. Yes, it is true that not ever college football player from AK makes it to that level, but that's not to say that coaches are filling their players heads with unattainable expectations or goals. Typically, it is the "message board talk" or just the casual peer talk that makes players feel that it's D1 or bust for them as far as playing collegiately is concerned. Getting the scholarship money and going to college should be the ultimate goal, but often times it isn't.

Kids grow up watching and idolizing players they watch on tv, most of whom play for (college) or went to (NFL) D1 schools, so it's easy to see why they would want to follow suit. Most people on the message board or just around town want to know who the best players/teams are. If there are any players that look to have even an ounce of D1 potential, then they are usually elevated as the best. I think the point of anyone asking if a player has D1 talent (on the message boards anyway) often times has more to do with pulling the "trump" card than anything.

For example, if one player has a stellar season and has exceptional stats but isn't very physically imposing, someone may argue that another kid who doesn't have as good of stats but has a better body and more "upside" and is better than the first player because they see the second player as having a better chance of playing D1 than them.

13. Theunsunghero

Expand Collapse

Ronn Schruefer (formerly of East High) is one player I do know who is playing QB at the next level. Grant Stophlet (South 09' I believe) also plays/played the position in college. I could mention others who've played at the D1 level(Casey Flair, Tate Knutson East 04' and 05' respectively; Remy Martin, Daniel Hardy West 06') or players who were heavily recruited by D1 teams and chose to play a different sport in college (Derrick Wilson from East a few years back) but to affirm your point Benka Mom, none of them played quarterback.

14. CoachGTaylor

CoachGTaylor Member
    Expand Collapse

A lot of it is regional. We must remember that there are 124 FCS schools. At any time there are almost 100 FCS teams not in the top 25 each with 85 available full scholarships. There are about 200 more FBS schools each with at most 63 scholarships.

When I was in college in the hotbed of highschool football that is DuPage county I saw and trained with many many many kids who were getting a full ride to some midmajor, perennial big conference loser, or D1-AA(now FBS) school in the region. The regional schools were always quick to swoop in and pick up the local players not at the level of signing with a major program. In fact I have a harder time remembering days when there wasn't some coach from a school like northern IL. at my home gym after all if two dozen or so other DuPage county players train at the same gym its not a recruiting violation. Its happenstance.

There wasn't much difference between the players they were scouting and our better players. I have in fact coached far better players. The difference was their region. The previously mentioned schools focused their recruiting budgets heavily in that region. They get more bang for their buck and time recruiting and signing not so national not so 5 star prospects that are close to home. Once you get past potential NFL players retaining players for a full 5 years becomes a major issue. A close to home recruit has better odds of sticking with the program.

Its a matter of resource allocation. Capitalism people, how do we best allocate scarce resources with multiple uses. If I'm a HC coach at some midmajor I cant be spending money I don't have sending what few coaches I do have on recruiting trips all over the nation when I need them at home coaching.

Trust me this year there will be a hundred of Div-1 schools this year offering full rides to smaller mike backers who cant even come close to controlling a game like Stevens can or 6 foot QBs that don't even have half the skills or Freckly or the natural gifts of Fenumiai. What they will all have in common is that they will be the best available prospect in that teams region.

In short, leftovers.
    This post was edited on 2/1 8:03 AM by CoachGTaylor

15. CoachGTaylor

CoachGTaylor Member
    Expand Collapse

My advice to parents who want their kids recruited, camps. Bring yourself to the coaches don't expect them to come to you. Boise State made themselves into a national power by bringing those unknown players to them through their camps.

And dont just go to one camp or multiple camps in the same region. If you have the money for 4 camps don't go to 4 west coast camps. Go to a west coast camp, go to a midwest camp, go to a a south east camp, and go to a north east camp. Now you have exposed yourself to all major regions and gotten yourself on the radar. If you only have the money for one camp I strongly advise a midwest camp. Stay away from the west coast if you only have the money for one camp. There aren't that many schools on the west coast. The midwest is the best region if you are looking to maximize your exposure to smaller schools.

And show good character, be friendly and get along well with strangers at the camp. If you go with others don't form your little Alaska clique. Show the coaches there that you are comfortable in a new environment and wont flake out once you are away from home. You can be one of the best raw talents they have ever seen. If you come of as someone who wont adjust well to life away from home they probably wont go any further than to offer you a walk-on opportunity. Remember they aren't looking for or even expecting to get freshman who can start a Div-1 football game. They build their programs more around developing players. If they dont think you will be around as a junior or a senior than you are a waste of time.

Flaking is a big bugaboo for college coaches, my junior year our coach got a contact in Florida and had a bunch of Florida recruits. Not a one of them made it past their freshman year. Coach put a lot of time into developing that contact and it ended up providing jack. That was the end of any attempted inter-regional recruiting.
    This post was edited on 3/12 4:52 PM by CoachGTaylor