New WV Coach

Discussion in 'Football' started by balash, Nov 2, 2009.

1. balash

balash Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Congrats to Coach Esparza, a long-time assistant for the Bartlett Bears. Coach E has officially been announced as the head coach at West Valley High School. It's a big risk and a big move for him personally. We're excited to have him coming up North. We have great hopes he can build on the foundation left by Coach Johnson and the previous staff (hopefully many of them will remain).

I'm personally hoping he goes with the wing-T. They have the right helmet decals for it and I think it would make us better up here to face it more consistently.

Congrats Coach E, I'm happy for ya.

2. AKFootballBacker

Expand Collapse

wow, that is interesting! It is not often a coach jumps right from Anchorage to Fairbanks. Plus just after being part of a state championship, to go up and try to build a program that has had several head coaches in a short amount of time. It will be interesting to see what can be put together,

How about other Jobs, is the Lathrop Coach coming back? What about in Anchorage any potential changes? Is Coach Rodriguez coming back?

3. maddmoox

maddmoox Active Member
    Expand Collapse

Any news on Dimond and Rodriguez ??

4. FSUDefense

FSUDefense Member
    Expand Collapse

Congratulations coach E! I think you are a great choice for the WV job. If you need anything please let us know.

Coach Fry
    Eielson Ravens

5. YOUR FIRED

YOUR FIRED Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Congrats Coach E. I'm excited about the hire and hope he is successful and can bring some stability to the West Valley program that has seen a lot of coaching turn over in the last few years. I think it will be great to see the Wing-T run up here and WV has the kids to make that system work. Good luck coach I wish you the best.

6. AKFootballBacker

Expand Collapse

When Balash was saying long time asst I was thinking older that 23, but hopefully that is an advantage for him. The article online in the news-miner today says that he is still finishing he degree in history so does that mean he still has to get his teaching certificate? That would have to be tough balancing university classes and coaching. But not much greater than what some of the other coaches have to deal with I guess. I think the most important thing to see is what other coaches he will have to help him out. And will he be able to get in that building and get kids out of the halls, that has seemed to be the biggest problems there and at Lathrop form what I have seen posted on here.

But again good luck and hopefully we will see High School Football continue to improve in Alaska

7. balash

balash Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Coach E started coaching at Bartlett straight out of high school, so he's been there 5 or 6 years. That's a long time to coach high school football, in my mind.....

My inside source tells me he will be a building sub at WV starting in January, with high hopes of landing a full time teaching job in-building at some point. The good news is he will be in-building all day long in multiple class rooms meeting kids from every grade level. I think it's a pretty ideal situation for a new young coach. At NP we have high hopes (almost expectations) that he'll get enough kids out to field a c-team so our c-team can get another game or two.

It sounds like he's going to try and keep some of the current assistants on-board (assuming they're up for coaching the Wing T and buying into the new system). And also that he's on the hunt for more quality assistants coaches in the area.

I think WV is going to really benefit from this new coach. Time will tell :)

8. AKFootballBacker

Expand Collapse

Where's Coach E on all of this I have seen his posts in other forums, why not let us know what lead to the switch and what he thinks about the new prospects?

9. scm343

scm343 Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Well now! Seeing as how I was called out, I think I have to respond now, thanks AKFootballBacker!! No, I am very excited about the prospects of heading up to Fairbanks to build the program. First I want to thank Coach Johnson, he did a good job up there and we are going to build on his success, fortunetly I have talked to three assistants from that staff and it looks like they will be back which is AWESOME!! I am making the switch up to pursue a good opportunity thats it, there was no rift or conflict here at Bartlett; if any thing its the downside of things that I have to leave here because I love Coach J , Coach Huffer and all of our kids here at Bartlett very much! I am very Optimistic about the prospects at West Valley, we are going to have some very good backs returning to fit into our cooky offense of the 50's... :) Thank you to Coach Balash from NP for all of your support in this and I am going to be looking foward to our intense C-Team battles, as well as to the Eielson Coaching staff all I have to say is YES!!! and please tell my favorite Eielson player that I am looking forward to seeing him! Anyway interior here we come we are very excited and looking forward to the season and to building West Valley into a successful football program.

Thank You

Coach Esparza
    WVHS Football

10. balash

balash Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Coach E,

I hear you'll be up this way this weekend. Look me up if you have time, I'll take you to lunch or something. I'll be a fan at the John Tobin wrestling tourney out at NPHS most of saturday if you want to swing by.

Seems like it's almost time for a thread about next season......

Peace,
    LB

11. scm343

scm343 Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Awesome! I am going to up there tomorrow morning thru Sunday evening. I will be at the wrestling tournament on Saturday sometime as a spectator as well and the combine on Sunday. I will definetly look you and give you a call that would be great, Thank you much!

Coach E
    This post was edited on 11/12 9:34 AM by scm343