Looking to relocate to Alaska

Discussion in 'Football' started by Texascoach5, Sep 13, 2011.

1. Texascoach5

Texascoach5 New Member
    Expand Collapse

I am currently a co-oc in the great state of Texas. Although most know texas is for its high school football. I grew up a coaches kid and love everything texas has to offer. My wife and I love the state of Alaska and are outdoor enthusiast. I have been around high school football my entire life. And love every bit of it. I was wondering if you guys could help me and point in the right direction to look at relocating to Alaska.

2. farret3

farret3 Member
    Expand Collapse

Juneau would be a great place to live. 2 schools one established JDHS and one school TMHS going on their third season as a program. Head coach Rich Srjoos JDHS Bill Boyer TMHS both quality coaches.

3. balash

balash Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

I think the whole state of alaska is pretty great for the outdoors, though what kind of outdoor activities you like could be a factor in where you'd like to live? Also, the climates can be very different in parts of the state. Southeast (Juneau, Ketchikan, Sitka, Kodiak) is super rainy, south central (anchorage, mat/su valley) is the most balanced & temperate (and crowded). Interior is super cold and dark in the winter, but beautiful and warm in the summer. And they do have football in Barrow where it rarely gets above freezing......

Would be fun to have some texas style football here.

4. balash

balash Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Do you have any preference to school size? winning program or not? Want to be a head coach or a coordinator?

This post was edited on 9/16 7:47 PM by balash

5. Texascoach5

Texascoach5 New Member
    Expand Collapse

Hey guys, thanks for the replies. As far has outdoors go I am an avid hunter and fisherman. And my wife just simply loves being outside no matter the weather. My wofe is a dream come true and true coahes wife. She understand the long hour and dedication it takes to have a successful athletic program. I dream of one day being a head coach but I am not sure I am ready for the task. I am currently a coordinator (off) and love it. As far as school size go, I have coached at the 5a level down to the 2a level in Texas and have coached with some legends in the state of texas. We are in full swing of our season and I am not looking to relocate asap. I will finish my duties as assigned for this school year. Plus I have a 16 foot pole vaulter coming back this spring and he has my word I'll be here. Does alaska had a job board anywhere online?
    This post was edited on 9/17 4:25 PM by Texascoach5

6. Texascoach5

Texascoach5 New Member
    Expand Collapse

And I do not care where a possible job would be. North slope or the islands.

7. balash

balash Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Do you teach? Lots of teacher job boards: for each district and a statewide clearing house. Coaching is much slimmer. Head Coaching jobs will hit the school district job boards, but assistant jobs are almost all filled by the coach with little advertising. You gotta get in somewhere and start coaching, work your way up. Unless you want to go for a head coaching gig.

8. Texascoach5

Texascoach5 New Member
    Expand Collapse

Yes I do teach. As does my wife. My wife will finish her masters in may in educational leadership. She has already applied for some special education director jobs throughout Alaska. Do they head football jobs have the athletic director job tied to them? I there any other information you could share about Alaska?

9. balash

balash Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Typically coaching jobs aren't tied to any other jobs, teaching or AD or whatever. You get hired separately for each. Coaches aren't well protected by the Union either, so you can get fired from a coaching job at the drop of a hat :)

To learn more about Alaska High School football I would check out maxpreps and google some of the teams up here. South Wolverines, Service Cougars, Bartlett Bears in Anchorage have good web pages. So do the Juneau Crimson Bears, West Valley Wolfpack, and North Pole Patriots. There is a huge variety in the sizes, cultures, and talent levels here. Everything from 60 kids at Seward High School with no youth football, to 800 kids at Palmer or North Pole with Youth football feeding their programs, to 2000 kids at Service where they pull kids in from all over Anchorage.

The outdoor mecca is probably the Kenai Peninsula (Seward, Kenai, Soldotna, Nikiski, Homer all have football teams). World class fishing of every kind and decent hunting as well. Lots of hiking and camping trails, mountains to climb, etc. Can be a tough district to get into.... but if your wife is SPED she can get in anywhere.

Drop me an email if you'd like to chat more in depth coachbalash@hotmail.com