Kinda quiet around here, how about Midseason 3 & 4A All State thus far?

Discussion in 'Girls-Basketball' started by gomerhill, Jan 21, 2014.

1. gomerhill

gomerhill Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Who do you have?

2. broken pt

broken pt Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Jerica Nelson and Hannah Wandersee for Kodiak---possibly also Kodiaks Carissa Canyon and the big girl from West Valley Ruthy Hebard..

3. WeGotNextt

WeGotNextt Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Ruthy Hebard-West Valley
    Rohyn Huss-Dimond
    Jerica Nelson -Kodiak
    Chanel Bookert-West
    Jayley Taylor-Ketchikan
    Ashley Young-Thunder Mt.

Some of the top 4A performers I've seen so far, but I have not seen everybody & the season is still fairly young.

4. broken pt

broken pt Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Saw both WV and Dimond in Kodiak Rohyn Huss definitely a 1st teamer liked her a lot.

5. gomerhill

Expand Collapse

Did you think Young is more deserving than Thompson from TMHS?

6. WeGotNextt

Expand Collapse

Assuming your talking about '16 Ava Tompkins, her and Young look like they could be all-state caliber players, but Young just did a little more imo when I saw Thunder Mt. play in Ketchikan's tourney. Tompkins is about 5'10, fairly athletic, is a lefty & plays point. If she tightens up that handle & continues to improve, she could be very good. Young has decent size as well & is a pretty dominant force in the paint & on the glass. Her game reminds me a little of Sierra Afoa.

7. Akhoops2014

Akhoops2014 Active Member
    Expand Collapse

Jerica Nelson-Kodiak
    Ruthy Hebard-West Valley
    Rohyn Hussdimond
    Katlynn Kerkvliet-SOHI
    Hana Wandersee-kodiak

Chanel Bookert-west
    Megan Pyles-Kodiak
    Faith Ferris-Colony
    Carlee Marques-west Valley
    Tara Thompson-Dimond

Very few girls are playing at the same level as Jerica Nelson and Ruthy Hebard this year. Nelsons basketball ability (offense and defense) and her leadership of a top ranked team and Hebards height and athleticism makes them stand out as the top players in the state. Rohyn Huss works as hard as any player, many nights carrying Dimond on both ends of the floor. Hana Wandersee is a great post player who can catch/shoot as quickly and accurately as any big girl. Katlynn Kerkvliet can score and rebound as well as anyone and is a large part of SOHIs success so far this year. After that, its personal preference of playing style. Megan Pyles, Chanel Bookert, Faith Ferris, Tara Thompson, Carlee Marques...... In all fairness I haven't seen TM or Ketchikan play yet THIS year so I wont offer an opinion just yet.

This post was edited on 1/22 7:57 PM by Akhoops2014

This post was edited on 1/22 8:06 PM by Akhoops2014

8. notaplayer

notaplayer Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Hold up. If we are throwing out top players in the state. Please come watch Dallas Dickerson play ball. Our schedule has been just as tough as any 4A schedule. She is averaging 25 a night and shooting 58%! Yeah we lost to Kodiak, Dallas had 28 and was 4 for 4 from down town. I hate to hype my own girl, but if she isn't considered for Gatorade POY because she plays 3A it'll be a crime. On a side note, no 3A girl has won since coach Hebert in 88' so I know it'll be tough.

9. Akhoops2014

Expand Collapse

With all due respect, all 7 posts before you are discussing 4A girls for the 4A All State (mid season thus far). The topic title mentions 3A, but no one bothered discussing it. It seemed obvious to the rest of us when people are referring to them as "the top 4A performers" and "1st teamers". Also, no one was discussing POY or the "top players in the state". If you want to broach the subject of 3A All State girls, no problem, I'm sure someone is willing to discuss the list with you.

10. WeGotNextt

Expand Collapse

Not sure who the top players are in 3A for girls, but I'm pretty sure, talent wise, Dallas Dickerson would fit in just fine amongst the top performers in 4A this season. Sounds like she's playing at a high level again this year, & it helps that she had a great game against 4A #1 Kodiak.

11. notaplayer

notaplayer Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Okay let's get some information flowing:
    Dickerson-ACS
    Thompson-Nikiski
    Tennyson-ACS
    Reid-Sitka
    Wamsley-Valdez

Joseph-Bethel
    Veasey-Hutch
    Wallace-Petersburg
    Reiter-Delta

Obviously I've got a dog in the fight, my views are slanted. I've seen most of these girls play. Galena is doing well and getting respect in the polls. Who are their lead dogs? Also, Barrow had a freshman post who played real well in spurts while in town. How is she developing? Riggs from Sitka is a tough little guard, but she is injured. How is fields dealing out in Kotz? The younger Veasey is tough too. Lastly I'd like to see how Angela comes back for Barrow? Could really bring toughness and leadership to a talented young squad.

12. Akhoops2014

Expand Collapse

I watch a quite a bit of 3A, enough to have an informed opinion at least. Dallas is a good kid and we've had the pleasure of watching her play since middle school. She definitely lands in the top 5 in the state, regardless of class, top of the list for 3A. I would give Tennyson the edge over Thompson, I personally think she's a more complete player and would get a lot more notice in a different offensive dynamic. Riggs would be in the top three if she wasn't on IR. I agree with Reid as 4, after that the skill level starts to level out pretty quick. I haven't seen Homer or Galena, curious how Coach Beth's younger daughter is doing.

13. gomerhill

Expand Collapse

That's a good 3A list, but it has some glaring omissions. Addy Ahmasuk from Nome is probably the only competition Dickerson would have as 3A POY (not saying better, but she's the only one I can think of who might push for consideration, at this point). She's a first-teamer all the way. White from MEHS is a beast, won MVP at Kenai's Tournament over some good competition - and for a team that was 1-2 at the tournament. I believe Fields is battling a knee issue (didn't play in the final game of ACS?), but she's the complete package, as far as rebounding, passing, defending... Here's a cool link to a buzzer-beater she had to send a game vs. South to OT:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=343717129104564&set=vb.141989052610707&type=2&theater

Hyatt from Kotzebue is also a tough little guard who deserves consideration. She was All Tournament at ACS and would be my other add to yours.

My list:
    Dickerson - ACS
    Ahmasuk - Nome
    Tennyson - ACS
    Wamsley - Valdez
    White - MEHS

Fields - Kotzebue
    Thompson - Nikiski
    Hyatt - Kotzebue
    Joseph - Bethel
    Veasey - Hutch

I haven't seen enough 4A to make any guesses, but Nelson & Hebert are ironclad. Thompson from TMHS has D1 potential. Doesn't mean she's deserving of All State right now, but it will be interesting to see how she develops. How is Shayla Johnson doing for Wasilla? Haven't heard much about her, was curious to see how she would do making the jump up in competition.

14. AntiAlexander

AntiAlexander Active Member
    Expand Collapse

Galena is fairly well balanced and young (one senior starter). So far it has been Shaina (Shana [first long a]) Burley and Sarah Buchanan as "lead dogs". They have a three dandy young girls Romay Shayen, Kameron Rietan, and Carolyn Sam.

15. Akhoops2014

Expand Collapse

Are the Nome games ever livestreamed?

16. gomerhill

Expand Collapse

kicy.org