Is Service a dirty team?

Discussion in 'Football' started by red_rover, Oct 23, 2011.

1. red_rover

red_rover Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

I'm reading about the state championship on adn.com. In the comments there are acquisitions that Service is a dirty team. Is there validity in this or are South fans just saying sour grapes?

Service wins state football championship

2. red_rover

Expand Collapse

Upon further investigation, it looks like it's mainly one person complaining, but still.

3. bb4fun

bb4fun Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

i saw service play 6 times this year and i would not call them a dirty team. they are very aggressive and undisciplined at times but dirty, no. i saw them knocking the juneau players on their butts and then helping them up after the play. i saw the same when they played the hawaii team. what i think happens in the cic games is that these kids have played each other so much and are seeing each other alot, emotions are going to run higher. now for the play everybody is talking about because of the article in the paper is another matter. i had a very clear view of the whole sequence. i thought the play by the south player was not necessary, was it dirty? i don't have any idea what was going thru that kids head but the service kid did throw a punch and should have been kicked out of the game. but he wasn't and i thought the whole game was cleanly played by both teams.

4. red_rover

Expand Collapse

Did he actually land the punch or was it only thrown?

It's getting ugly over at adn.com, and there's a lot of negative comments stemming from Doyle Woody's article.

Service player makes good on second chance

5. bb4fun

bb4fun Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

it looked like he connected but the south kid still had his helmet on so how much damage could it have done. i think the picture on the back page of the sports section explains alot. u see the south kid hitting the service kid below the waist while the play is no where near either one of them. the fumble was 5-10 yards away and that is why the officials probably never saw the punch. if both sides are honest on what really happened and the officials saw both actions at the very least it should have been a unsportsmanship penalty on south and ejection on the service player. but realistically i could have seen both players ejected for their actions. but like i said earlier, i saw a very clean game from that point on and with both players being major factors for both teams i'm glad neither were ejected. nothing was gained from either of their actions so the play did not effect the outcome in any way, so i don't know what anybody could be hot and bothered about.

6. red_rover

Expand Collapse

Thanks for the summation (Better than anything at ADN right now!). Sounds like it was the type of heated play you see two players in in almost every other football game, and it also sounds like the outcome was for the best. It's never good when an ejection figures in to a state championship game.

7. ruprick

ruprick Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Why is it that only winning teams are every accused of being dirty?

8. red_rover

Expand Collapse

Yeah I don't know. It's really getting disgusting over there and Service's championship is getting drug through the mud. Both sides should just shut up and leave it alone at this point. Alaska high school football is so cyclical. South will be on top again in the future, and Service will probably go back to the bottom of the pile at some point as well. It's just the way things are.

9. Haventiger

Haventiger Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse