Greatland?

Discussion in 'Football' started by AK's slinger, Oct 4, 2009.

1. AK's slinger

AK's slinger Active Member
    Expand Collapse

and people were saying that conference was good. it looks to me all NLC teams made it to the next round

2. Bockeroo

Bockeroo Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

the only people saying that were the guys that play on greatland teams. the name of the small schools division should be changed to northern lights conference

3. jason7

jason7 Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Are the schools in nthe great land conference smaller then the Northern lights? Why the big difference? the NLC kills the GRC every year, Eielson has completed but still loses every year.....

4. Bockeroo

Expand Collapse

is has little to do with school size, despite what others might want you to believe. schools with more kids have a better chance to pick out a few more elite athletes than smaller schools, but a football team must work as a team to succeed. before the change to small school and large school divisions, there were several teams from eielson that were able to compete with the large schools and did win state championships. soldotna was competitive for many years too. it was because the right group of kids came together and were able to dominate. small schools that pick up a great player in basketball have a better chance to compete because a single player can dominate basketball much more than a single player can dominate in football. most of the small school teams have the same amount of kids going out for their football teams. the difference between the amount of skill and depth is much greater in the jump from small school to large school than it is between small schools.

5. utah_utes_33

utah_utes_33 Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

What happened to Barrow after last year?

6. t_nageak

t_nageak Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

I don't know why people bicker about the GLC. All of us are 3A schools. And all you polkies in the nlc are 4A based on school size. Guaranteed, if you went against schools like West, South, Chugiak; you would just get beat every time and that's why you are in the small schools division. No chance for you nlc teams to go against teams like the West, Juneau. I know they got beat on upsets but no chance for you against them, Guaranteed. School size matters. Think of a 1A Basketball team like Atqasuk vs. a 4A school like West. Who would win? You have a better (more students) talent pool of the best students to make the team to take home the bacon. Which stand would you take? A school with 260 students or a school with 800 - 1000 students?

7. Bockeroo

Expand Collapse

you are one of the most ignorant people on this board. you continue to post this crap with no knowledge of alaska football history. here, do some reading. the only school that comes close to 4A classification for football is kodiak, who is still under the limit. all the peninsula schools have around 500 kids. this has nothing to do with basketball either. basketball is completely different than football. if lebron james had moved to chevak for high school, do you think that chevak would be able to compete with west? im sick of having to explain these simple concepts. you cant use school size as an excuse every time you lose. the GLC is in a talent slump now and has been since the 2000 and 2001 nikiski teams that were the best in the state

8. savioroftheuniverse

savioroftheuniverse Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

There actually is a chance for nlc teams in the 4a division. Kodiak was on a down year this season (still good enough to beat the number 1 GLC team though) and played a very competitive game with Colony. Sohi led both West and Colony and lost by small margins. West and Colony were seeded 1 and 1 or 1 and 2 im not sure. But it just goes to show that yes the NLC teams could compete in 4a. In my opinion they should probably put some of the NLC teams there. Its kind of pointless having some schools who are blatantly better than all the other teams and just play each other every year in the state playoffs (Kenai, Soldotna, Kodiak) I mean did anyone really think Eielson should have been favored to beat the fourth nlc seed in kodiak? The glc is a ridiculously weak conference and i honestly think they should switch the classifications around or something to have some parity.

9. pictaker

pictaker Member
    Expand Collapse

School size does matter. If it was the other way around, you NLC guys would be complaining. I don't think, Valdez for instance has 500 kids in the entire school district, thats K-12. The High School is under 200.
    So, maybe it's time for a third division.

10. utah_utes_33

Expand Collapse

A 3rd division would probably be a good idea. Though SoHi has dominated 3A since 2006, and they have somewhere around 400 in their school.

11. LV2COACH

LV2COACH Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Really?? Honestly whats a third division going to do? There are what 31 football teams in the whole state! If you went to another smaller division what are we going to go with 6 3A schools and 7 2A school and 3 non conference schools? There are only 13 teams in the "small schools" division. That is pointless and counter productive. Talk about playing the same schools every playoff, but at least everyone has a chance at a state title. Maybe there should be a 1A for Lathrop Houston and Valdez. Its not about school size, its about coaching your kids to a place where they believe in each other and they believe in the coach. I'll tell you SoHI had the large schools scared for a couple years, SoHI might have won the large schools state title the last few years if they had played there. But they don't so they won 3 straight small schools titles, don't get mad at the NLC for having better players and teams, schedule tougher out of conference games and prepare yourself for playoff time. Only one greatland team played an out of conference game against a large school that was Eielson who played Lathrop (nice one) other than that no out of conference games against large schools. As apposed to NLC who played 8 large schools including SoHI who played 3 (palmer, colony, and west) they even won the game against Palmer who blew out south 48-12 last week.

12. Squelcher

Squelcher Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Why is there "small schools" and "large schools" for football? Why is it not 3A and 4A like every other sport? Why does SOHI compete in 4A in their other sports (state title game for bball) but is treated like a 3A school for football? Same with Kodiak....what's the reasoning?

13. savioroftheuniverse

savioroftheuniverse Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Because it is easier for a smaller school to put together 5 talented basketball players that can compete at a high level than putting together 11 players on both sides of the ball to compete.

14. Squelcher

Expand Collapse

That's pretty subjective....it's not easy for some schools to put together a talented and competitive basketball team relative to their classification, but they still have to play in their classification regardless.

15. utah_utes_33

Expand Collapse

Yet you are also being subjective.

16. Squelcher

Expand Collapse

Well, ya, I'm pretty sure everyone who posts their opinions on here is being subjective....but we are talking about ASAA policy, which should be objective. Seriously, give it some thought....Hypothetically, what is the difference between the Soldotna's, Kodiak's, Kenai's, etc. in the football world from the basketball world....or Ketchikan is another example. There are plenty of 4A schools that have 50% of the enrollment of the CIC schools or much less for that matter and yet they are still forced to compete at the 4A level in everything else but football. Those schools MIGHT compete for a state title every blue moon, but the classification system remains. Just sayin' theoretically it doesn't make sense that special adaptions have been made for football and not other sports.
    This post was edited on 10/5 8:18 PM by Squelcher

17. utah_utes_33

Expand Collapse

Theoretically speaking yes, but realistically speaking ASAA obviously thought of this when they made the classifications for basketball and football. So they most likely know what they're doing.

18. Squelcher

Expand Collapse

Riiiight, cuz asaa always does the most logical thing and it's all about the kids. lmao

19. utah_utes_33

Expand Collapse

Yes, right. Because your ideas are all about the kids and follow logical reasoning also..

20. Squelcher

Expand Collapse

I can't argue with your great comebacks where you just repeat my sentence but put "you" in front of it. I know you are, but what am I?

Don't want to argue anyway, just friendly theoretical discussion.

21. utah_utes_33

Expand Collapse

Thank you.

22. Squelcher

Expand Collapse

No, thank YOU.

23. A.King24

A.King24 Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Since I have been associated with alaska football I have never heard of the GLC teams ever being good, no offense. It has been SOHI, KODIAK and KENAI. I remember years when DAKOTA CRAIG, BRANDON MILES AND BILL CHIMPHALEE (sp) would destroy teams. So not to put anyone down but I would have to agree that GLC is less talented every year than NLC, this would also only be dating back to like 2002. Now onto a different subject, There are a few select teams that could possibly hang with 4A year in and year out. I remember a 2006 SOHI team that couldve played with any team in the rest of the state. Something you have to remember when comparing the 2 sizes though is that 3A doesnt play the competition every game like 4A does. I would say that there are 3 legit 3A teams this year and 8 legit 4A teams this year. Playing the competition takes its tole on lineman and backs after awhile. I dont know if SOHI, KENAI and KODIAK would have the depth that WEST, JUNEAU, CHUGIAK and BARTLETT have. So to say that 3A teams could compete with 4A teams is kinda a silly remark. Maybe a few games they could keep close and/or possibly win, but do you honestly think that any of the 3A teams wouldve taken a spot from any of the 4A teams in the playoffs? Like I said, Im not trying to down 3A to 4A because its 2 totally different games. But it would be like saying a team like Hawaii could compete in the SEC or BIG XII. They could beat a couple teams but the depth of the cnferences would take its tole on the guys in the trenches as well as the backs. Not to mention the defenses getting wore out. GOOD LUCK TO ALL THE TEAMS IN THE PLAYOFFS. IM PULLIN FOR SHACK AND MY STANGS THOUGH....

24. Squelcher

Expand Collapse

King:

My THEORETICAL question is: Why do the 4A schools play "small schools" football, but still compete in 4A in every other sport even though it's "like Hawaii competing in the SEC or BIG XII". Schools like Ketchikan, Sitka (until recently), Kenai, SOHI, etc. have a fraction of the population of CIC schools but still toil year in and year out in 4A...Heck the valley and interior have HALF as many kids as the CIC. I realize SOHI was able to get to the basketball final last year, but as I said originally, that's once in a blue moon, no offense.

So, THEORETICALLY, why did ASAA change the "rules" so that these same schools have a better shot at a "state title" in this one particular sport, but haven't taken steps to "fix" the other sports?

25. utah_utes_33

Expand Collapse

You're welcome.

26. kmch

kmch Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

I know a lot of coaches who would rather compete at the top level if they had the choice, even with a "mid-major" type of school population.

27. Bockeroo

Expand Collapse

you really cant figure this one out by yourself? nearly every high school in the state can field a basketball team. with so many teams, there needs to be four different classifications. there are about 30 teams each year that field football teams. a school size cutoff of 850 kids allows there to be an (almost) even number of teams each year in each classification. that was tough

28. Squelcher

Expand Collapse

Easy big fella. I gotta tell you, you're kind of coming across a little condescending and sarcastic. I know sometimes things come across message boards with unintended tones, so I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt.

Keeping it nice and friendly here, I appreciate your take on the situation. I never realized that the 4 classes were divided evenly for all the other sports. I always thought there were alot more 1A and 2A schools than 3A or 4A. So what are the numbers, how many 1A, etc.?

29. Squelcher

Expand Collapse

Bockeroo, you either don't know the distribution of schools among classes or you could tell where I was going with that last post and have stepped back from your aggressive reply.

Here's the breakdown:

1A 106
    2A 35
    3A 27
    4A 23

So, there are 191 schools divided over 4 classes. Let's say 30 of the 1A schools aren't even big enough to field a basketball team, so we'll call that 76 1A "teams". Using your logic, ("a school size cutoff of 850 kids allows there to be an (almost) even number of teams each year in each classification"), those classes should each have 40 schools since they can all "field a team" for basketball and other non-football sports.

I would argue that the answer to my question is not as quick and easy (and obvious to smart guys like you).

30. Bockeroo

Expand Collapse

hey stud, i had class til 10 last night then class at 8 am this morning. i dont know how everyone started talking about basketball, because basketball has NOTHING to do with football. a cutoff of 850 kids allows there to be an (almost) even number of teams each year in each classification in football. the 2A school size for basketball is 51-100 kids, 3A is 101-400, and 4A is 401 and up. many village teams cannot have basketball teams every year because their student population fluctuates so much. the asaa did a good job of classifying basketball the way they did because it keeps the 2A, 3A and 4A divisions from becoming to large or too small. 1A exists so there is a classification for all the village schools. its that simple. asaa talked about making a 5A classification a few years back, but no one wanted it

31. Squelcher

Expand Collapse

My question wasn't about basketball, but it was used as an example. My question is why the sports are treated differently. You have made an effort to answer that question, though I don't agree that your logic is sound. That's ok. Agree to disagree.

One thing we can agree on is that I am a stud.

32. utah_utes_33

Expand Collapse

That literally made no sense at all, unless you want 1A schools to play West and Juneau each year.
    This post was edited on 10/7 9:59 AM by utah_utes_33

33. Squelcher

Expand Collapse

Exactly my point, Utes! That's why his argument that football has a small schools division so that the schools are evenly divided among classes is faulty logic.

I'm tired of this topic now, so I think I'll be done....like I said originally, I was just throwing out a theoretical question and it obviously sparked some discussion...not sure it was answered though which is why I asked originally.

Thanks gentlemen.

34. ascorbates

ascorbates Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Call ASAA and ask them