Colledge vs. Kuper

Discussion in 'Football' started by red_rover, Oct 5, 2009.

1. red_rover

red_rover Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Just watching MNF and saw the starting lineup for the GB offense.

I'm curious who would you rather have on your team? Daryn Colledge or Chris Kuper. Both are holding their own in the NFL. Colledge had a good career at Boise St. Kuper was at North Dakota. I think Kuper was lineman of the year for that 01 Dimond team, which one could argue was the best AK HS Football team in history.

That aside, they are both pretty good.

2. CoachGTaylor

CoachGTaylor Member
    Expand Collapse

Kuper was a freshman for us when when I was a senior. He came up for playoffs and I have to say I'm really please by how well he developed. You could tell he had natural talent, but he didn't have NFL written all over him, he has obviously put a lot of work in to get where he is and I'm very proud of him. As I coach I have used him as an example to get my kids to work hard, they ask me about him a lot because they know I played with him and it makes for a really good example of how hard work pays off.

I'm glad to see him doing so well. But to the other point I still think that Mark Schlereth was a better lineman. The man had and has ungodly strength. Larry Allan may have had a 700lb bench press but from what I have seen of Mark working out I think he had more overall power. And given his injuries being able to maintain that power despite being laid up so many times is unreal. But all and all I'm still very proud of Kuper. After all I get to say I went toe to toe with an NFL lineman, of course he was 14 and I was 17.
    This post was edited on 10/5 7:24 PM by CoachGTaylor

3. Squelcher

Squelcher Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

I heard Colledge didn't even play football until his senior year of HS and then was a D1 All-American 2 and a half years later.

4. CoachGTaylor

CoachGTaylor Member
    Expand Collapse

Ah damn Colledge is hurt. I really hope he is okay.

5. red_rover

Expand Collapse

I didn't realize he was not playing his usual position.

6. words_of_wisdom

words_of_wisdom Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

That is correct squelcher. They also only played him on one side of the ball. In college he only gave up one sack in 4 years as the left tackle

7. kmch

kmch Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

I'll chime in here....Daryn's senior year we (NP basketball) had literally 1 returning big and a ton of guards....I approached him in the hallway and said "hey, you tried football your senior year, why not basketball". He played and was absolutely perfect for his role. He's the kind of guy where I could say "your job is to rebound and defend...if you get the ball under the rim put it back up, otherwise don't dribble, don't shoot, find a guard". His reply was always "yes sir" or "you got it coach". Just a joy to have in our program for that year.

Incidentally, he had a blocked shot at the SOHI tourney that was the best I'd ever witnessed first hand with the exception of Eduardo Najera volleyball spiking a shot at the Top of the World Tourney into the 10th row. Daryn's was very similar, made a sonic boom off the gym wall.

8. words_of_wisdom

words_of_wisdom Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

That is exactly why he has made it as far as he has. A lot of it is talent, but a lot of it is work ethic and coachability.

9. red_rover

Expand Collapse

Good post there. Kmch, I'm curious, did he play with Brad Oleson? That would of been one helluva pair.

10. kmch

kmch Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Yes, Brad's JR year was Daryn's SR year. We were desperate for Daryn's size with mostly guards returning and a rebuilding year. Daryn was a utility guy and very raw as far as basketball goes. Brad was just emerging as the man after being 6th man as a sophomore. So not really a helluva pair thing quite yet. Now, if Daryn had played from the get-go or was around for Brad's senior year? Lights out.