Chugiak Football to Forfeit Victories Pending Appeal

Discussion in 'Football' started by ITman907, Sep 22, 2011.

1. ITman907

ITman907 Member
    Expand Collapse

http://www.ktuu.com/news/ktuu-chugiak-football-to-forfeit-victories-pending-appeal-20110922,0,2113031.story

"South Anchorage, Colony and Eagle River all stand to gain a victory pending the appeal."

WOW.

2. PopsInAK

PopsInAK Member
    Expand Collapse

Just another example of the shoddy record keeping and cavalier way the Cook Inlet Football Conference runs it's football program. I don't believe there was anything intentional about the use of an ineligible player, but the adult(s) responsible for it need to be held accountable. ASAA needs to do a better job of protecting the integrity of the sports programs it governs by emphasizing accurate record keeping. Use of ineligible players is just one area. The transfer of players from one school to another -- sometimes from one year to the next and the next -- might be another.

3. LV2COACH

LV2COACH Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

This is absolutely ridiculous. Because some kid is home schooled through a different agency than the district he can't play for his local high school. It's a shame I have a bother in law who is home schooled through the same agency and plays football, wont be able to play in high school because he's an IDEA kid. Why doesn't ASAA just require IDEA kids to declare a school if they want to play sports.

4. AKFootballBacker

Expand Collapse

Its unfortunate, but the main issue is not whether or not the IDEA (or other non-district Homeschool) kids should be able to play team sports, its just that the TAX dollars from the IDEA kids go to IDEA and not the School district that pays for the Team (in this case ASD). So the one fix could be to calculate a fee per player that IDEA could pay to help make up some of the costs of operating a team program and having IDEA students only eligible to play for schools that they live within the attendance for.

5. LV2COACH

Expand Collapse

Sounds like a logical idea to me. The problem is tax dollars pay for Idea too, and the fact of the matter is sports are not as expensive as the district would like you to believe. The district wastes millions every year on needless programs. II could see if a great number of kids were from idea but I would guess the numbers would be as low as 1 or 2 kids per school that play sports.
    This post was edited on 9/23 12:39 PM by LV2COACH

6. PopsInAK

PopsInAK Member
    Expand Collapse

What millions every year on needless programs does the district waste, lv2coach? Examples, please?

7. LV2COACH

Expand Collapse

Well being that this is not a political board and it's a sports board I will refrain from anymore political talk, the school district spends $17,000 per student quick math problem 17000 times 1800 kids rough estimate at a high school. That's 30.6 million I said million dollars for 1 high school. If you give me 30.6 million dollars and I'll give you 1800 students ready for college.....district is too concerned catering to the teachers unions to worry about the kids. Don't twist me either I said teachers Union not the teachers themselves. So I will not throw out the countless federal and local programs that throw money at the problem rather than actual constructive ideas. That's all I have on the subject

8. PopsInAK

PopsInAK Member
    Expand Collapse

What does the "this is not a political" vs. sports board have to do with anything? You're the one who raised the issue of district waste and seemingly tied it to the athletic arena, not me. I'm not disputing the waste; I'm wondering if you have specific areas where you believe the money that is earmarked for athletics is being wasted? Just don't insult a discerning individual's intelligence by tossing out the $17,000 per student the district gets for "educating" little Joe or Mary. That's all encompassing. Total. What amount of that $17,000 per that is targeted for athletics is being wasted? And how?
    This post was edited on 9/23 9:20 PM by PopsInAK

9. LV2COACH

Expand Collapse

I don't think you understood what I was saying or maybe I misunderstood you, my point was district waste not on sports but in a host if other areas no I don't think they spend near what they would like everyone to believe on sports. Why are sports always the first thing tossed out during almost every budget debate like they are a drag on the districts. I think if they were more prudent with our tax payer dollars that it would be a benefit to high school sports in Alaska. I did not mean to offend with the $17,000 comment I only ment to show that the district spends a whole lot of money and educationally they do not see a good return on that money.
    This post was edited on 9/23 10:39 PM by LV2COACH

10. balash

balash Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

The key question on this whole issue in my mind is whether or not this was a clerical error made by an administrator? An oversight by a coach? Or was this more intentional?

The article in the paper made it sound like this was an adult error and we're penalizing 30 high school young men because of the errors of adults (especially if the player in question had little/no impact on game outcomes, as you can guess so by the fact that they just beat West Anchorage without him). If we're penalizing a bunch of kids for adult mistakes and the by-laws don't allow for our ASAA board to make an executive decision to re-instate Chugiak's wins then maybe ASAA isn't really functioning for what's best for kids.

11. PopsInAK

PopsInAK Member
    Expand Collapse

Frankly, I've wondered the same thing about ASAA's role as the state's governing watchdog of high school athletics. It would certainly seem they're less proactive in insuring compliance and more reactive. Granted there are a lot of athletic programs in Alaska. But in the relatively unique case of the Chugiak player -- i.e. not a student of the school he's playing for -- you'd think there would be a system in place to flag potential eligibility questions before they escalated to forfeiture of games. I guess in that regard, ASAA is not unlike the NCAA.