Alaska's Top Prep Hoop Stars

Discussion in 'Boys Basketball' started by ArizonaJoe, Feb 6, 2020.

1. ArizonaJoe

ArizonaJoe Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

2. BLM82

BLM82 New Member
    Expand Collapse

Just curios, why is East listed with a 7-3 record in the section on top 5 teams as of Feb 6?

3. ArizonaJoe

ArizonaJoe Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

They are 12-3 I believe, it didn't get updated on time.

4. _nanook_

_nanook_ Member
    Expand Collapse

Your Top 20 is skewed. Christian Adams, Jaren Carle, Aidan Ivanoff are all ranked to high, I don't know if I'd even put Carle on this list. Truesdell should probably be #4. McMahon should be #1. Dylan Erhart - West Valley, is better than a lot of the guards on this list. Ray Chumley - Soldotna, Reece Ivanoff - South, Jalen Freeman - Valdez. Just a few that quickly come to mind that should be in the top 20.

5. ethoosier

ethoosier Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

I think this is a very difficult list to put together, especially given the constraints of making sure all regions and levels were represented. There is a reason Joe was asked by ASAA to put it together, no one watches more games and sees more of these guys than Joe. It is always expected that there are people that were going to feel slighted, that’s why no one is ever willing to put these together.

As far as #1....I am such a huge Patrick McMahon supporter. He’s worth the price of admission...he’s the top college prospect currently playing in Alaska. I love watching him play.

Unless however you were at West High watching Moses drop 42 on the number 1 rated point guard in the country and his extremely talented teammates...I don’t expect you to understand. Moses is just at another level than anyone else currently in the State right now.

I fully expect Patty Mac to make as huge of a leap before his senior season and completely own this state next year. He is still just a junior which is crazy for how good he is.

BushAK likes this.
  6. _nanook_

_nanook_ Member
    Expand Collapse

I watched the game at West, he had to put up quite a few shots to get those 42, he wasn't very efficient and he wasn't getting those (apparently) talented teammates of his involved.

7. ethoosier

Expand Collapse

I’d say that’s a pretty skewed perspective of that game and of him as a player.

And he shot 50% from the floor and averaged 1.3 pts per shot that game. Which is pretty efficient scoring by any metric.

7 ethoosier, Feb 7, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2020
    ruprick likes this.
  8. 3_wisemen

3_wisemen Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Moses didn’t defend Daishen and vice versa so he didn’t put 42 on the top rated pg in the country. And Moses definitely wasn’t guarding a 6’5 205 pound stud! This list is skewed due to the parameters obviously placed on it. Agree joe sees probably more basketball than anyone
    Else on here.

9. ethoosier

Expand Collapse

One - the AND in that statement matters. Two -everyone on Trinity guarded him with everyone including Daishen, they switched quite a bit.

And I never said he guarded Daishen so I have no clue what that comment is in reference too.

And none of that changes that there isn’t a player in the state right now that could do what he did that night, against that level of talent. That for me was the clincher in this debate.

9 ethoosier, Feb 7, 2020
  10. 3_wisemen

Expand Collapse

Ha Ha Ha Ha. Go Lynx!!!!

11. ethoosier

Expand Collapse

But no “homer” comment from you when I had Colony number one to start the season. Go ahead pull out when it is convenient for you I guess.

12. _nanook_

_nanook_ Member
    Expand Collapse

He needed 32 shots for his 42 points and was 3 for 15 from behind the arc, with 3 assists and 5 turnovers. I don't think that is efficient. He had some great drives and incredible finishes.

I think there are 7 or 8 guys in the state that could of put up 32 shots and got 42 points or more.

12 _nanook_, Feb 7, 2020
  13. 3_wisemen

Expand Collapse

1) Wasn't that before your transfer was approved?
    2) Most folks had Colony 1 before the transfer and some losses that weren't anticipated(Ketchikan & West Valley) (I apologize 2 transfers if I recall correctly)

BUT Moses is player of the year hands down right now IMO.

Go Wolverines!

14. kmch

kmch Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Let's not be the reason these rankings are drama. I'd rather read the "Buy Adderall Online" thread.

15. ethoosier

Expand Collapse

it’s 1.3 points per shot and 50% from the field. Hell if you really want to get analytical with it, it’s a 59% true shooting percentage. Which again isn’t remotely inefficient. You can argue with math all you want...math is math. At least it was in my day. Maybe you are one of these Go Math kids that screwed it all up.

But no there aren’t 7 or 8 putting up 42 with a 59% TS against that level of competition.

If you go back to the pre-season rankings thread I had Colony in tier 1 and tier 2 with Dimond, East and Bartlett. Your very next question to me was “are there any transfers out there” which started the whole Ivanoff debate. You can look it it up, it’s all there.

15 ethoosier, Feb 7, 2020
    ArizonaJoe likes this.
  16. ruprick

ruprick Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Thank you Arizona Joe for taking the time to write the article. I'm sure they paid you a large amount of money to do it lol. Just ignore the negative nancy crowd and realize that the rest of us appreciate all the hard work you to do provide us with basketball results on a daily basis. No adults should be getting salty on a message board about high school basketball. Arizona Joe is A-OK in my book and I would share a warm pot of deer venison chili with you any day of the week, even on Wednesday.

ArizonaJoe and ethoosier like this.