4A Championship Game is Set: Chugiak vs. Bartlett

Discussion in 'Football' started by balash, Oct 10, 2009.

1. balash

balash Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Chugiak wins on a FG from the half foot line in overtime.

Chugiak lost to Bartlett 35-3 a few weeks ago.

Hard for me to imagine anybody beating Bartlett after the whoopin' they put on us. Good luck to all!

2. AKKING32

AKKING32 Active Member
    Expand Collapse

congrats to chugiak bartlett too but chugiak well be a very much improved team next week as they were in last week of regular season . i have chugiak winning 35-24
    This post was edited on 10/10 6:02 PM by AKKING32

3. utah_utes_33

utah_utes_33 Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

After seeing Bartlett dominate like they have, I take back what I said before the playoffs started. They are legitimate. I think Bartlett will beat Chugiak once again, but in a slightly closer game. 28-13 Bartlett.

4. BigBlade

BigBlade Member
    Expand Collapse

Bartlett will blow Chugiak out of the water. They will not be able to improve enough. 60 - 12 Bartlett

5. AKKING32

AKKING32 Active Member
    Expand Collapse

60-12??? isnt that a little too harsh bartlett is by far the best looking team at the moment but chugiak has improved dramtically over the playoffs winning a stunner in a in cold foggy juneau with a hostile enviroment. and then beating palmer in a OT. if chugiak can stop the run its over.. bartlett has no passing game if hale and cyrus blow up like the no po game then chugiaks in for a long game

6. BigBlade

BigBlade Member
    Expand Collapse

I do not think that chugiak can stop that running game at all. I know Chugiak is your old stomping grounds but I have made up my mind. Ill say Chugiak might come up with 21 but thats it. Sorry . The only thing they can do is go out and give it their all. Good luck.

7. red_rover

red_rover Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

I think when you get to this point, all bets are off.

A little history for Bartlett folk: 2001 it was Bartlett v. Dimond in the state championship. Bartlett destroyed Dimond earlier in the year, but the Lynx came up big winning the state title. Dimond's coach in 2001, Duncan Shackelford (coincidence?).

Point being, anything can happen. Bartlett on paper might be better, but you guy's can't ahead of yourselves.

8. BigBlade

BigBlade Member
    Expand Collapse

Forget paper Ive seen both teams on the field Bartlett is far better on the field. Yes anything can happen but I dont think Chugiak has a very good chance.

9. scm343

scm343 Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

already know btown bouta win chugiak to slow and to weak to hang with btown get ready to hang that banner in the gym btown

10. A.King24

A.King24 Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

I would just like to say that it is very hard to beat a team 2 times in 1 season. With that said i dont understand how people can make a drastic decesion like 60-12 in favor of either team. I think that both teams defenses are to good to have 60 points scored on them. I have Chugiak holding bartlett to 21 points and edging them out 24-21. I know Bartlett has a GREAT running game but Chugiak as a great defense. Offense wins games but DEFENSE WINS CHAMPIONSHIPS.

11. utah_utes_33

Expand Collapse

True statement. Happens in all sports, all the time, almost every season. Patriots beat the Giants during the 2007 regular season, then the Giants took the Patriots down in the Super Bowl. Orlando Magic beat the Los Angeles Lakers both times in the regular season, then the Lakers dominate in the NBA Finals. Could go on with examples of 2nd matchups, but it should not be an extraordinary blowout like some have said.

Chugiak is in the state title game because, well, they did what it took to get there. I don't think they're going to get steamrolled in the biggest game in years for the 'Stangs. Though in this case, it would be a major upset if Chugiak ripped off the upset over Bartlett. It won't be a blowout, though. I would take a 17 point spread on this game.

12. crimsonbearspride

crimsonbearspride Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

point is, is that its the state championship and any team can shine on any given day. recall back last years state championship when juneau was dominating service on both sides of the ball. juneau's defense shut down leo aukisitino. juneau was the best team in the state but bad snaps cost service to score 8 points and win the state championship. that's kind of similiar to what happened to the bears this season. i think if juneau beat chugiak then it would be juneau and bartlett. but thats not the case so chugiak has just as good of a chance as bartlett.

13. A.King24

Expand Collapse

And just for the record I am not being bias with my prediction. Its kinda like they always say, the only people that know you is yourself and your family. I dont see them losing, just for the simple fact that everyone else does. I recall a team (DIMOND 2001 I think) that went 4-4 in the regular season and barely made the payoffs due to tiebreakers. They ended up winning the state championship coached by SHACK. Honestly the game is going to come down to whos defense is better I think. Im going to stick with my prediction 24-21 in favor of Chugiak. For the simple fact that I think they have a better coaching staff, better defense, and better passing game. I also like rooting for the underdogs. GO STANGS!

14. red_rover

Expand Collapse

That's exactly what I said!

For the record, A.King, that team Dimond beat was... BARTLETT! After Bartlett embarrassed Dimond at home a few weeks earlier, and to make the comparison even more eerie, Dimond's first round win came @ Juneau that year as well.

*Twilight zone music plays*

15. A.King24

Expand Collapse

yah wow I remember that game...i was in eighth grade at mirror lake middle school. that game was packed, one of the most packed games I have ever seen for alaska football. Yah I remember it was bartlett and I remember it being Zach Bowmans senior year. Bartlett had better individuals that year, but Dimond played better as a team. I cant wait till saturday even though i wont be able to watch or listen to the game seeings as I am in Texas. Does anyone know if this game will be webcasted or anything? If not someone should posted play by play type stuff on here so I can check up on it. It would be cool to listen to the game and fish at the same time, while poppin some miller lite. I CANT WAIT!

16. slowgun

slowgun Member
    Expand Collapse

King it was actually Bowman's junior year.

17. slowgun

slowgun Member
    Expand Collapse

Btw, when the '02 Bartlett team beat Chugiak in the finals, it was by the same score as their regular season game. Just saying.

18. A.King24

Expand Collapse

yah your right im sorry it was his junior year. it was his senior year they won the title. as for chugiak losing to them in the finals your right it was the exact same score. but we also have better coaching now then we did back then. Travis Cantrell (no offense) wasnt the smartest coach. I remember the game against Dimond in 2001 when we beat them at home, there was 1:31 left in the game 2nd and 8 and he throws the ball when Dimond has no timeouts left. Then he throws again on 3rd and after 2 incompletions its 4th and 8 and were punting to Dimond with 1:22 left in the game. We almost gave them the game. We have better coaching this year. But its all opinionated Good Luck To Both Teams

19. BigBlade

BigBlade Member
    Expand Collapse

That is correct it is all opinionatad. And my opinion is that Bartlett could very easely score 60 points against Chugiak. 35 to 3 was a beating 60 to 12 or even 60 to 21 will be a pullverising.

20. red_rover

Expand Collapse

I think you have it backwards A.King. The first time Bartlett played Dimond in 2001, the game wasn't even close. Trust me, I was going to school there at the time. Dimond's starting qb got hurt, and they had to play with their backup, who was a linebacker. Dimond was totally unprepared for that scenario and as resulted, Bartlett blew them out of the water.

I will say that the Dimond 2001 team defers from Chugiak 2009 in two major ways. 1) They were the defending state champs. 2) They had the ability to turn their game on and off when it mattered. Not a good trait to have, but it helped them win the title that year.

I love talking history. Good luck to both teams tomorrow.

21. A.King24

Expand Collapse

red_rover...I dont have it backwards, you might be under the impression I played for bartlett. I played for Chugiak, and my comment earlier was about when Chugiak coached by Cantrell almost gave up a game to Dimond coached by shackelford off of dumb play calling. 2001 when Chugiak played Dimond at Chugiak 4th game of the season and it put Dimond at 2-1. At that time Dimond was ranked #1 in state and we won off an interception with 42 secs left. After that he decided to take a couple knees and end the game. I remember it like it was yesterday. I was in eighth grade and it was my first taste of how fun varsity football is going to be. The comradery, smell of freshly cut grass, the lights, the stadium, the fams, the atmosphere...I miss it so much. I cant wait for the game to start. Hopefully chugiak will earn everyone elses respect on here.

PS I love talkin football history too. I now can talk instead of just listening seeings as my time is history now. lol

22. BigBlade

BigBlade Member
    Expand Collapse

Stomped!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

23. A.King24

Expand Collapse

7-3 at half...MAJOR STOMPING? you are high!

24. red_rover

Expand Collapse

Okay, now I know what you are talking about, and you are right. Dimond did lose that game, but not bad like they did to Bartlett. I was at that game too.

25. BigBlade

BigBlade Member
    Expand Collapse

Your High king . That was a beating. Lucky they kicked the field goal. Wasnt 60 to 12 but it was a stomping none the less.

26. utah_utes_33

Expand Collapse

Um, yeah. Maybe not biting your own words but they won by 18 points. I wouldn't necessarily consider that a stomping. But it is a good solid margin of victory. Congrats to Bartlett on a job well done, and a terrific late season and postseason run to the title.

27. A.King24

Expand Collapse

Alright it wasnt 60-12 none-the-less a stomping, but they won by 18 and thats enough to say they controlled the game. I never once said they were a bad team though, and as a matter of fact I think I even posted somewhere that they could be the best team, I think it was like in week 6. They were the best team this year in the state at the end of the season. Maybe not quite at the beginning but like I said once they got the ball rolling they were hard to stop. Ill eat my own words in saying that Chugiak was gonna win by a small margin, but atleast I am man enough to say I am wrong. Your 60-12 margin is rediculous they barely reached afers third of the way there. Something that no one realizes is that teams like Chugiak, Wasilla, Colony, Palmer and Juneau is that we dont get transfers on a regular basis like West, East and Bartlett due to military reasons. I am not making excuses and saying this is why we lost because it isnt. But I will say that in our towns what you see is what you get. Im proud of them and feel very lucky to call Eagle River my home. Bartlett is a very good team and have a very talented backfield. Congratulations to both teams!

28. scm343

scm343 Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Great Job B-Town WE are very proud of you......

29. red_rover

Expand Collapse

Why are they called B-Town? They're not in any town I know of that starts with a B.
    This post was edited on 10/18 8:24 PM by red_rover

30. utah_utes_33

Expand Collapse

Good question!